Honeymooning!

I cruised into Blyth on an Arriva bus last Monday, met the Executive Director and volunteer Box Office Manager of the Phoenix Theatre, got a set of keys and started my "Probation" is their first paid Theatre Manager. I've met new people every day between learning systems and reading the unavoidable stack of "strategy papers and reports" on art and culture in South East Northumberland and The Phoenix Theatre in particular. The Technician and me hit it off instantly as we have similar interests, values and aspirations and everyone has been so welcoming and pleasant that I am trying not to look for 'the catch'! I know there is a huge expectation that I will be able to realise all their dreams as much as I know I won't be able to please them all- but I want what they want. It is such a pleasure to be working WITH as opposed to for or even against a Board. These guys are good natured, experienced and more than capable, the fact that I agree with their assessments of certain powers that be, the arts development initiatives they've instituted and other key issues is a bonus!

I attended my first Phoenix show: Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" presented by The Beaconsfield Operatic Society. It was a hire... It was pretty much what you might expect from a provincial amateur operatic society. There was some excellent singing. The acting... -not so much. The band, (broadcast live from 'The Green Room') was pretty good too. The theatre's programme has everything from gang shows and local groups to tribute bands and small scale national touring companies as well as their own productions- of which they're very proud. We had an enquire re a wrestling 'show' last week! I can't wait to really get stuck in and offering performance training workshops as well as directing a show or two.

In some ways; I have come full circle from my first job at The Albany Empire in Deptford in December 1984 where the principles of my belief in the value of art and culture in community development were formed. The Phoenix is more than "a theatre": in a town that has lost much of its economy, employment and leisure and where communities can become isolated and polarised, it has aspirations to be a place that all sorts of people can meet each other with a backdrop and them of art and a broad definition of culture. 

The aspirations of the theatre's Board, volunteers and staff echo the strongest motivations behind all of my work since my Albany début. The very brilliant Jenny Harris was my first boss proved a very hard act to follow. One of the many lessons she taught me was the responsibility that building-based community organisations had to their 'homeless' peers. Community buildings can suck available cash into them and away from other independent groups. "Iconic" buildings will be protected at the expense of less visible "grass-roots" organisations regardless of their social benefit.

The theatre group has  been going for 40 years and built their theatre with a Lottery grant in 1996 after the ex church building they'd occupied was condemned. I found out that the rebuilding of the theatre was energetically opposed by some local groups. The organisation receives public subsidy of only £2,000 pa so it can hardly be accused of sucking up available cash, but they want me to increase income on all fronts- including public sector and charitable grants. We won't achieve that by asking nicely, we will have to show the value the building can add to its town and its people.

While I am "new" I need to meet as many of the relevant "players"in the Creative Sector in South East Northumberland to hear their opinions of The Phoenix and to find out what it will take to develop partnerships and collaborations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre