Just Letting Go

At the last meeting I had as Chair of the North East Sustained Theatre Regional Hub, I was soothingly advised to "just let it go, Oscar" when those assembled baulked at the suggestion that we could collectively descend upon the Arse Council offices in Newcastle to voice our displeasure at their actions to sideline and ignore the artists in an allegedly "Artist-led initiative". I took their advice- not to let go of my aspirations, but to let go of THEM! When I worked for Intercultural Arts I was paid to stick my neck out and stand up for those people who, as creative professionals, were less able to represent themselves in the strategic shenanigans of "arts development. The fact that I had not had those responsibilities or benefits since May 2011 seemed to be lost on most of them who thought I would continue putting myself out for them with no support or even public endorsement.

I made it clear that although I was stepping down as Chair I would continue to support them if they supported themselves by participating in contributions to plans, ideas etc. The next day I reviewed a job opportunity I had initially rejected because I thought that as a non driver I wouldn't be able to get there. Closer research revealed it was possible to go door to door in a little over an hour by public transport, so I applied, was invited to interview and am now Manager of the Phoenix Theatre in Blyth!

I am really looking forward to starting next week. I have all but finished the research project that has dragged on for most of this year: we're creating an online database of community centres in Newcastle. The idea is to provide alternatives to the increasingly expensive venues available to creative professionals in Newcastle city centre and to help community centres to attract new users who can help them to develop their programmes. What is so wonderful about the job is that it will be the first time in TOO BLOODY LONG that I will be directly responsible for the delivery of a creative project rather than supporting others.

I had visited Blyth in my first or second year here on a works outing to The National Renewable Energy Centre from ONE North East but didn't see any of the town so my knowledge had been limited to the disparaging comments of Newcastle residents, I was unprepared for how delightful it seemed, I could easily see myself living there. 

So; in a way perhaps I should be grateful to the NESTers: if they had shown any gumption I would never have applied for the job I now have. The great thing is that many of the plans I'd developed for NEST will work (I think) in Blyth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre