Northumberland Road Trip

Last week I set out to make as many 'strategic contacts' as I could to introduce myself as The Phoenix's new Manager and to call "Time" on leaving the theatre out of Creative Sector development strategies for the county.

I went to Berwick on Tweed for a "Northumberland Strategic Arts Forum" 'conference' at the Maltings. This turned out to be a pretty 'standard' strategic event, but it was useful for me to meet some interesting creative people who are active in the county and for some of the "officers" with whom I have crossed swords before to see me with a new hat on!

I was also able to see the first half of Phizzical Theatre's Cymbeline, only the first half as it was going to end after the last train to Newcastle was scheduled to leave. I was pleased to finally catch up with the show: the director had asked me to try to get it into a venue in Newcastle or Gateshead last year but NONE of them would even look at it. It made me think about how effective the Arse Council "strategy" of defunding organisations fighting for parity of profile for minority ethnic creative professionals in favour of making it "everyone's responsibility". Like the proverb says: "If its Everyone's responsibility, No one does it".

I got to know the bus routes well as I went to Morpeth and Ashington and met people at the theatre. I knackered my knee- I forget I am an old fart and need to warm up before exertions like forced marches up hill to avoid being late for a meeting after getting off at the wrong stop or running for busses! I really MUST get this driving sorted ASAP.

I was duty manager for a couple of hour on Saturday, I was VERY tired, but it was pleasant to see the older members of the group and the Scouts Gang Show. Our technician had the week off which caused a problem because it had been assumed he would be around for the Gang Show get in! Unfortunately he was away with his girlfriend celebrating his birthday. Thankfully one of the Directors stepped in but it revealed the need for a system that doesn't rely on assumptions!

By the end of the week, despite feeling very tired and a bit frustrated at having to have spent so much time on the road, I do think I achieved what I set out to and people now know I am the contact at the Phoenix. Ironically; my business cards arrived on Friday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre