Goodbye Jimmy

He lived opposite me, he was there before I arrived. Jeff got to talking with him and found out that he had brought up sons on his own after their mother left. I never saw anyone else at the house. it was several years before we struck up a greeting relationship and a few more before I found out he was called "Jimmy". We often encountered each other to and from the local shops.

He was a character. He liked to put people's bins back into their gardens after the binmen came -except his immediate neighbours: they were... odd and secretive, they objected to Jimmy 'going onto their property' so he'd leave their bin out. They moved out and the new family are much nicer and interacted with Jimmy.

Jimmy hung two England flags from the first floor windows which always made me smile. Last week I noticed they were no longer there. I had a bit of a thought, but dismissed it. A few days later I happened to pass the front of the house and thought I could see into the room, but I dismissed it. Yesterday, I saw a YHN van parked outside with someone in it. I asked the driver about the guy who lived in the house. He told me that Jimmy had been found dead in his bed.

Thanks for being a great neighbour, Jimmy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre