Dreadzone at the Cluny

They were to have been here last week, but Spencer caught covid. It was all a little rushed, but worked out in the end. Mick and me spent a lot of the day together and decided to go by taxi to Ouseburn. Raice dropped by to get some stuff for his mother and I invited him after his boxing practice. We picked him up and got to the venue. Time was getting short, but I'd made arrangements for Spencer to come back to mine after the gig.

Spencer hugged the hell out of me! I haven't seen him for 35 years! The scrawny kid with the broken wrist has filled out and is taller than me. I haven't hugged ANYONE for so long that is was a little strange! I wasn't at all prepared for the gush he gave me about the impact he said I'd had on him! I was delighted and embarrassed.

I needn't have worried about them getting a good crowd; the place was pretty well packed. It turns out they're popular on the festivals circuit. I mused that they'd go down well with the Faeries, but that they're too good for them (lol). There was nowhere to sit, which made me worry about Mick, but he was OK until near the end when he went out for air. Having said that; my back was in need ot TLC by the end of the gig. I was amused that my shoes were stuck to the floor when I tried to move.

They were absolutely brilliant fun! Spencer is an incredible frontman and the music was just great. At one point between songs Spencer stopped and told the audience that he owed everything to his old drama teacher and mentor from 35 years ago- Me! That was a weird moment: I knew that there were people in the room who would know my name. It was a moment when my past life popped up almost in valedation of my reputation. I mean that I know there are people here who diss my skills and claims of things I have done to the point where I almost doubt myself. I'd forgotten how incredibly creative and exciting my time at the Albany was.

I remember that spencer had become homeless, though I don't remember why and that he spent a few weeks sleeping on a mattress in my bedroom, that would not be possible now!

After the show I got a very wet hug from Spencer as I gave him details to get to mine and we waited for a taxi. Around 00:40, as I was beginning to struggle to keep awake, I got a text apologising as Spencer had underestimated how tired he'd be. 

It was a GREAT night out, my first in two years and my first live gig in more than twenty. I absolutely understand what they kept saying about the Dreadzone Family, I feel part of it now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre