Play Date!

So, when my 'charge' asked if he could spend Saturday with his 'girlfriend' I was surprised how uncomfortable I was. Part of me hoped he'd just forget about it but that was never likely. I said I'd onlu consider it if I spoke to a responsible adult. I eventually spoke with 'the Mother' on Friday so off he went the next day.


I was surprised about how preoccupied with him I was all day. The fact that I'd not actually met the mother and that all I had was an address and a telephone number bothered me. -After all; according to Children's Services are concerned, every adult with whom he comes into contact is supposed to have a valid DBS certificate. -Then I got into knots about what is was or was not necessary for her to know about my charge. After MUCH internal torture I decided to make sure that the mother knows not to leave the children unsupervised as the basis of the care training I have received.

The lad came back from his 'date' very excited. The mother brought him back and the girlfriend came too. I was very pleased to be able to meet them, although it would have been easy to have presented a false face I got the impression that she was dealing with a particularly demanding (only) child. They have already asked if Michael can go to visit them again next week. I will need to speak with the Mother first. 

Apart from all that, I think it is rather sweet that this fourteen-year-ld has a thirteen-year-old "Girlfriend"(they're in the same year group at school, separated by a few months in age). The (hopefully JOINT job of me and the Mother) is to keep the relationship as appropriate as possible for a couple of early teenagers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre