Black Gay Histories

[Pic: Black Gay Group, Gay's the Word, 1980s]
It really interests me how little impact the global response to the murder of George Floyed and the subsequent resurgence in Black Lives Matter seems to have affected or impacted the LGBTQ groups and organisations with which I have been involved. I fell out with the 'High Priest' of the 'Albion Faeries' when I tried to initiate conversation about this. After I left I noticed that the ill-judged and poorly-maintained Facebook page 'Faeries of Colour' wherein the 'heated debate' occured was taken down completely. The fact that I realised that I'd made about 80% of the contributions to the page and removed them all in a fit of pique may have contributed to that.

Eighteen months later, those groups are still untroubled by racial discussions. I shuddered when the implications of that hit me: At one level; I felt asked to prioritise my sexuality over my ethnicity and I realised how far I've been prepared to subjugate my ethnicity basically for the comfort of the white people around me. The shame and anger resonate around me all the time.

I have very much enjoyed Pose. The show skirts around fantasy and realism to tell BLACK GAY STORIES from the rise of the AIDS pandemic in the late 1980s. Granted: Pose is set in New York, but so much felt like my first hand experiences I was moved, angry, triumphant and filled with love throughout. This year's Black History Month programming has been quite impressive even if it has included things I've seen before. -Unlike the LGBTQ groups, TV has joined the train. I appreciate what I have seen. Even the things I have seen before seem different now that I have been processing so much of my interactions with white people, the distance from the mainstream Black communities because of my sexuality, the decisions I've made in my career and my lack of interactions with other Black LGBTQ people. 

LOL- I've just thought that it might all be my manifestation of a midlife crisis!

I've resolved to review what Black Gay History I can find. I remember that when I have tried this in the past I've found little emanating from Britain, most comes from America. Of course, there is Black Pride, but I have little chance of really engaging with them from Newcastle. LOL part of my problem is that I am good at organising groups and when I have encountered local groups that are run badly, I end up either gritting my teeth or ultimately trying to influence them so I usually withdraw and leave them to it.

I have started writing my own history, but the focus is on my work in arts and community development. I will highlight what I discover about Black Gay British history as and when I find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre