Waifs and Strays

So, a guy came into work the other day asking to use computers as he was homeless and needing support. He is now my lodger.

When he said he had carpentry skills and experience I thought of the Engine Shed project. I told him I was looking for lodgers and invited him to the Engine Shed to meet 'the custodian' who also thought this lad was 'the right sort' (gave him loads of food from the food bank) I drove back to Newcastle and... well; it seems to be working out. It is certainly 100% better than the recently vacated Radical Faerie who had been living with me until the beginning of the week when my patience finally evaporated... He is damaged, so not really his "fault" but it was frustrating to have someone in my house who would only communicate with me when he was drunk and who spent the rest of the time reacting to me as if I had done him some serious harm.

Replacement lodger is a bit younger- I think he has accepted that I want nothing more from him than peripheral companionship, that he cleans up after himself and sorts out benefits ASAP. I have been helping him job-searching and creating his CV. Hopefully I can help him regain confidence and present himself well for a job in Newcastle. There is almost no work in Weardale and he was walking to Consett from further up the valley when he stopped at Stanhope. Consett is at least 15 miles from Stanhope and he wasn't sure that the person he was seeking was still there or could help him. It is sad that it seems so unusual for someone to have no motives other than those stated in a situation like this. No, I don not want to jump on his bones, -not that he's unattractive or anything, but that is not the basis of this relationship and would not be even if he did dance at my end of the ballroom. 

I think this will work out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre