St George's Day 2018

Last November, I was introduced to some ex-military veterans who were making items from wood as well as painting etc, as part of their recovery from PTSD/ transition back to civilian life. My expectations were low, so I was very pleasantly surprised by what they brought in to show me. I was immediately determined to create a pop-up gallery/shop for them at the earliest opportunity. A little later, I found out that a touring exhibition about the Durham Light Infantry was looking for a new venue AND that a local folk duo had a show based on world war one songs they wanted to present. All three came together and we even got the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of County Durham to attend and to present a plaque (made by the other veterans) to a 94 year old who was decorated for his part in the Artic Convoys in World War II.

It has been a great success: the vets have been invited by visitors to other residencies and talks and they've been able to advise families who've shared that they have a relative struggling to get used to civvie street, visitor numbers are up, the retail tenants have benefited and takings are up in our gift shop and tearoom. Later, I was told, for the first time in a year, that I don't have the authority to set room hire charges or to allow groups to use space for free. I am referring to space that has sat completely empty since my employers arbitrarily hiked rents a few years ago and half the tenants left. Apparently "Executives" need to take those decisions. I replied that nearly £9,000 had been generated additional to budgeted expectations through using this space in the way that I have been doing so and that it would be simpler for me not to continue in the future. -That was unexpected. The poor bastards didn't realise that they were talking to someone who no longer gives a fuck.

So, I am looking to get out ASAP. At least one of the last things I will have done has been a clear success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre