Never a Dull Moment!

Well: as usually happens; I've been SO busy and 'spent' at times when I might have been blogging, but on the three or four times I've actually fired up the old laptop I've ended up doing just a teensie bit of 'planning' for work and that was that! So that's why the gap since my last blog!

I'm settling into my new job; doing new things- not some of the things I expected but its definitely fun. I am a lot more willing to do what I'm instructed than I have been in previous jobs. I am very happy to serve. I refer all my decisions through the executive before implementation, offer suggestions when I think it appropriate and file them against review at a later date. A number of things probably contribute to my new acceptance- the Demon of Experience had a part to play: The last couple of years have been hard. I have survived and a recent windfall cushions my immediate future and that of my Godson, but the lack of fulfilment my recent marathon through the "Freelance" ocean drowned me with frightens me. I KNOW I can be- already AM useful in this job. Knowing I have MUCH MORE to give is a comfort. Simply: I have changed. I reflect on what I have achieved and realise that I actually have achievements to reflect on! 

[ Dead chuffed. The Fuck Ups exploration for another time lol ]

I know what I can do and I am sure I can do it in my new job, but there's no need to go in all guns blazing. My powder will be kept dry as I prove my general abilities trustworthiness and lack of megalomania! If I gain their trust we'll really be 'cooking with gas'! It is really SO exciting, but all that has to be kept down till some operational nitty-gritty is tied down. The thought that a successful panto could pay six month's running costs, the mind is focused!

Its great to get my old Community Development juices flowing by connecting with local groups who are actually DOING stuff that brings people together to get through what the people of Blyth and Northumberland (in particular) are going through. It isn't lost on me that my first job was in a similar role in a very different place, the sense of cycle is undoubtedly part of what makes me want to move to Blyth- if I survive my probation. Commercially: it makes absolute sense for the theatre's directors to seek to increase the daytime use of what is one of the few creative community venues in South East Northumberland. If we can generate income to cover our running costs we will have more money to stabilise and develop our building, produce our own productions and to take work to schools and on tour. Some of that income will come from charitable sources to enable access by different groups for a range of activities. The process will introduce potential new audiences to the theatre's Main House programme and to each other. 

As an example: I'm really excited about bringing together a Scottish Bollywood comedy, a Northumberland craft fair featuring the work of women from minority communities in Northumberland (who knew?!) and a theatre members' coffee morning together in a sort of mini cultural festival! -Not bad for Blyth eh?! If all goes well, South Asian Groups will come up from Sunderland and Newcastle to join our members and regulars, we're trying to weave together a whole day of activities that will make the trip up the motorway to Blyth worthwhile and a chance for different groups to meet through art and culture -including food (of course!). There'll be a crèche and live music and maybe some poetry- poetry's big in South Asian and Middle Eastern cultures.

An old Blyth picture house in the next street from the theatre is about to reopen as a Weatherspoons pub. I had a sneak preview yesterday and The Wallaw is beautiful!  It looks like it was built as swish a thirties club, the interior is excellent. I can see it drawing people to the town when it opens halfway through the run of our panto. 

Everyone is understandably manic at the moment in the run up to the panto and we've had some operational crap to shift but they/we're seasoned-enough to handle it. Tonight's rehearsal was cancelled in favour of people having a break before the final push, the members I chatted with today seemed very appreciative of the chance to check up on practical things and have a night off. They're also confident and proud of the show which feels good. It feels new not being up to my neck in the thick of it all, I suspect that time will come so I get on with what I've been asked to do.

Next year's programme is taking shape. I have an instinct to create "seasons" to attract different audiences in greater numbers to the theatre at different times of the year. Though I'm sensing some concern about this so I need to explain to them before I go any further. I want to create cycles of shows like "Sunday Concerts" and to encourage use of the Studio by local creative groups such as folk musicians and visual artists and introduce new people to the theatre. We will develop new income and increase our market.


[ I would LOVE us to produce a Blyth Soap Opera!!! I saw a 'Culture Show' broadcast about Vicky Featherstone at the Royal Court and (once the Envy Green drained from my cheeks) watched the section on Peckham, The Soap Opera and was reminded of the Soap Opera we attempted at the Bird's Nest Theatre
"Flatmates" lol- we didn't have the writers and it was pretty dire, which is why I was so pleased to finally get my first response from the regional writing support organisation and they might be able to help.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre