Oops!

Well, that was an interesting week!

I am still more than "happy" with my new job, but I learned last week that they're going to move at their own pace; trying to get them to speed up just ain't gonna work!

My mistake? I drafted a discussion document and sent it to the entire board requesting a chance to talk with them about "the way forward". [ I know: "provocative" huh?]. Come to think of it; this is the second time I have drafted a "Discussion Document"  and had a surprising response. I used to work for an organisation that had the stupidity to not only call themselves "The best organisation in the voluntary sector" but to actually believe it too- despite the fact that they hadn't even secured a major government grant that had been earmarked for them, because they failed to submit the application. The fact that they would publicly call themselves the best in the sector says a LOT about them IMHO. But I digress: the reactions from my new bosses revealed that I had transgressed some key rules by sharing my ideas with the whole board rather than its executive group first and by suggesting that all stakeholders be involved in a series of development discussions- that was entirely unacceptable. 

At the end of the week it was again clear (at least to the 'executives' of the Board) that my "Discussion Document" was not in fact an attempt to "come in here with me London ways" and change everything but to... initiate discussion [gasp].

I realise I am a different sort of manager to many I have encountered: once I am definite about what I want to do, I look for the dissenting voices and alternative ideas. It is similar to being a director: I avoid the dahlings who tell me how wonderful it all was instead of finding the detractors. Its not that I'll necessarily change things in a show because someone didn't get it, but I learn a lot from them. In management I try to test my ideas against other inputs and when I find a better approach, I discard my previous beliefs and embrace the change. The only thing I have to prove is that I can get the job done WELL. Only a fool (or a politician) would ignore a better idea because it wasn't one of their own and the biggest fool believes that only he has the answer.

Most of my career has been in community contexts. Communities tend to be diverse in terms of experiences, abilities and outlooks. If I am working for a community organisation or one that depends heavily on its relationships with communities, I try to get as much involvement from those "stakeholders" as possible in moving it forward. I expect the executive to sift through that input to decide on a way forward that they believe they can deliver and that fits their ideals. I find it much more efficient to involve people at the early stages so that they can witness and be part of the evolution of ideas and strategies, rather than to receive development diktats from those in charge- even if they agree with those diktats; not being given an opportunity to be party to their development can disengage the very people the delivery of those plans depend on.

I also accept that I am working FOR a group of people. If I were running the building myself, it would be different- it would be a lot more difficult for a start! So, I have taken a chill pill and am relaxing into doing what I am told and will waiting until the broad aims that are contained in the Business Plan and Job Description become things I can work towards. 

One thing really bothered me though: I am completely impressed by what they have achieved with so little public support. They are financially independent and what they do clearly WORKS. I was bothered by any inference that I thought they needed fixing... I do think that changes to the economic landscape is already having a greater impact on the business than is immediately obvious, but I certainly never saw myself as some superhero saviour able to make it all OK by employing a couple of slick "management techniques"... I just wanted to talk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre