Yes but no really

So; I discovered that there is actual movement on all the Sustained Theatre projects - except Newcastle. My successor as Chair of the North East group collaborated with Northern Stage over a project they'd been trying to get funded for years but when it came to the point where a proposal was to be submitted... Nothing.

It MIGHT be because there wasn't any support from the remaining members of the group- who had been given only peripheral information about the project- I may never know and don't actually care, but I am furious that NOTHING has come from work that started in 2009.

I contacted the current Chair of Sustained Theatre to try to find out what's what. I found that there is "potentially" up to £750,000 available for a project in Newcastle, BUT: in order to access it, I will have to go though the entire process again- proving support from the membership, proving the project is financially feasible, submitting an application etc etc. This process wouldn't start until October 13th by which time I would expect the offer  being considered by the owners of the building I've been trying to get hold of will have been finalised.

One MIGHT think there has been a concerted effort to stop the project going ahead. I have been told by senior officers in the Arts Council that they were opposed to the project from the first- before they even had any details about where the building was, what we planned to do with it or what it cost. If I could get hold of £630,000, I would be able to refurbish and open the building AND; recent discussions with a property developer show that there is the potential for creating 2-3 flats for sale or rent and an office suite- worth around £450,000.

It is ironic that disbelief in the business acumen behind the project has been the public reason for the lack of support. These people wouldn't recognise a good business opportunity if it physically attacked them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre