London or Bust!

So, I'll be wending my way 'dahn sarf' on Friday to be at a friend's wedding on Saturday. 

This will be my first visit to London for three (?) years. I've known about this since last autumn but I confess a slight but growing anxiety as the day finally approaches. I was completely shocked by the prices being charged by allegedly "budget" hotels- not far off what i used to pay for a month's rent in Newcastle for just TWO NGHTS in London! The place I found has cost me £179, is not far from Baker St and looks pretty scruffy! I don't really intend to be there much- check in, drop bags, head for Deptford, meet a couple of friends, back to digs, up next day, breakfast en route, wedding (which is on the outer edges north of London), back to digs and train back on Sunday morning.

I can't pin down the source of my anxiety apart from the sheer number of things that could go wrong starting with getting to the station- taxi or bus? Its a bank holiday, how will that affect timetables? There is a rail strike planned: will it disrupt my journeys? Will my e-tickets fail at the last minute? Will the train be packed because of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations this weekend? I've even fretted about leaving the present on a train and losing my cards and 'phone!

I am not usually like this!

One of the hardest things about visiting London is the people I feel like I should try to contact. I tend to tell few people because they all want me to visit THEM. I've told two so far who both want me to come to different places at the same time so I will attempt to 'split' it and spend some time with both of them.

My most maveric friend will be taking time out from his manky (his word) caravan near Consett to stay at mine and tend to the cats. He used to live here and one of the cats was originally given to him! I had asked someone else to do it, but they're one of the people who have been struggling recently. - I thought it would have been good for them to have a place where they could have lain low for a couple of days but in the end it seemed to be adding to their stress so I asked someone else to do it.

It will be great to see my friend get hitched! We have known each other since Sunday School! We were disco stalwarts together. She organised the group trip to see 'Car Wash' at the Shepheards Bush Odeon in the late 1970s... I can't actually remember the last wedding I attended, I used to sing at many when i was a chorister. I was a witness for a couple of friends who got "civvilled" before they emigrated to New Zealand four of five years ago, but that was it. I have some minor social anxiety about the wedding too, it is unlikely that it will be particularly stuffy- but then again; I haven't seen my friend in thirty or more years! -A lot could have changed. Of course, if it is unbearable, I'll just slip off quietly. The travel, accommodation, and present has made this the most expensive weekend trip I have ever taken!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bon Voyage, Mon Enfant!

Waiting!

Gyre